News:

Simutrans Chat Room
Where cool people of Simutrans can meet up.

Scenario Tutorial for the pak192.comic

Started by Yona-TYT, January 29, 2021, 05:54:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yona-TYT

I am thinking of starting the adaptation of the tutorial for pak192.comic, but I am not very up to date with the latest addons of this project.
I need to know if the pakset meets the minimum requirements for a small network in all types of transport:

• Chapter 1: Informational Only.
  • Chapter 2: Buses.
  • Chapter 3: Merchandise trains, electric passenger trains.
  • Chapter 4: Merchandise Ships, Passenger Ships.
  • Chapter 5: An electric plant as a coal mine and its respective trucks.
  • Chapter 6: Aircraft for passengers.
It would also be nice if someone provide a map to make this tutorial look great.

Flemmbrav

Thanks a lot for kicking this off!

Ships might be an issue here, we only have a very selected collection of ships sadly.
Rest should be fine. Buses are there, trains are plenty, coal is in there too, aircrafts as well.

In regards of the map, what are you looking for there? How tall shall it be? Are there any special needs?

Yona-TYT

Quote from: Flemmbrav on January 31, 2021, 02:06:44 PM
In regards of the map, what are you looking for there? How tall shall it be? Are there any special needs?
not much actually, just large enough to locate a city far far away which will be connected to an airline.

I like mountainous maps by the way.

Yona-TYT

I'm starting to edit a map, it's a bit difficult since I have to adjust everything to converge with the scenery.

This is just phase 1. :P

simscr07.png

Yona-TYT

I have noticed that there is no passenger dock for slope, are there plans to add one soon?.
Captura desde 2022-11-26 11-01-00.png

Flemmbrav

Good question... our ship department kind of lacks on everything.
There might be one in the future, in case there'll be fitting ships.

By now, all passenger ships we have are for channels

Yona-TYT

Quote from: Flemmbrav on November 27, 2022, 03:21:13 PMBy now, all passenger ships we have are for channels

Well for now I'll work with what's there.

I hope not to stray too far from the existing logic in pak128 and 64, I have noticed many substantial differences both in the availability of objects and in the basic style of pak192, so far it has been a challenge to adapt things.

Leartin

Added simple docks for pax today. Still no proper ships though...

dock_pax.png

Yona-TYT

Quote from: Leartin on December 04, 2022, 06:32:29 PMAdded simple docks for pax today. Still no proper ships though...

dock_pax.png

That's good : )

For now I'm satisfied with these two. ;) Captura desde 2022-12-04 14-41-46.png

Yona-TYT

I have not yet reached the ships, but almost!.

I have been looking at the simutrans code to implement new script functions and this has delayed the work of the tutorial.

I almost finished chapter 3, which is the most difficult. :P

simscr11.png

Yona-TYT

@Leartin, do you have any merchandise dock for  water canal that you can lend me?. :P

I didn't notice this before, I could have sworn I saw one!. :-[ 

The item list so far:
ship1_name_obj = "RMS_BlackDragon"
ship2_name_obj = "alsterdampfer_1940"
sc_way_name = "channel"
sc_dock_name1 = "dock_long"
sc_dock_name2 = "null" //dock channel
sc_dock_name3 = "null" //slope dock
sc_dep_name = "Schiffdepot"

Captura desde 2022-12-08 17-38-47.png

Flemmbrav

I recently drew that one, it's part of the latest nightly you can find on GitHub.

Yona-TYT

Quote from: Flemmbrav on December 08, 2022, 10:19:00 PMI recently drew that one, it's part of the latest nightly you can find on GitHub.
Thank you very much for the information! I have already added it to the scenario.  8)

If there are more news that you think should be added to the tutorial, let me know, regards!.   ;)

Yona-TYT

Until now almost complete chapter 5 "Industrial efficiency"

In the fine pass it is required to build an extension building for the post office (a small 1x1 tile post office), in order to promote the surrounding industries, but I did not get something similar.

It must be 1x1 to avoid destroying many buildings in the city.

In pak64 we have this:
Captura desde 2022-12-09 23-14-40.png

Leartin

extension_Postamt is a 1x1 post office extension, though it appears only in '96.
I'll see if there is an easy solution for an earlier post office.

EDIT: Earlier post office added.

Yona-TYT

Quote from: Leartin on December 11, 2022, 04:53:08 PMextension_Postamt is a 1x1 post office extension, though it appears only in '96.
I'll see if there is an easy solution for an earlier post office.
A quick snapshot of my current progress.

Edit:
Note: I put the "post office" using script , but they are actually out of date , so they are only there to allow me to move forward. :P

Quote from: Leartin on December 11, 2022, 04:53:08 PMEDIT: Earlier post office added.

@Leartin
You work fast and quietly hehehehe.  ;)

simscr12.png

Yona-TYT

What do you think about boosting the oil platform with mail? I did this same query in pak128 but no consensus was reached (I think) : https://forum.simutrans.com/index.php/topic,21970.0.html

This is due to the fact that in pak64, in addition to passengers, the mail also increases production and it seems curious to me that pak128 and 192 do not.

Captura desde 2022-12-12 00-47-05.png

Flemmbrav

I just tried the download from your announcement post:

Simutrans r10759
Pak192.Comic from 15 hours ago

Do you have an idea on what might be the cause of this?

----

For the oil rig: honestly, I have no clue on how much postal service an usual oil rig needs. I'd guess that there really isn't a lot, is there? Might be more about food supply and stuff like that.

Flemmbrav

It's the latest nightly I can actually download from https://nightly.simutrans.com/en/, thus I thought it might just be young enough.

I'll file a bug report there and wait for a newer version, thank you.

Flemmbrav

Flemmbrav

When creating the first bus line, the scenario details mention 5 stops, but there is a demand for an unmentioned "Glasgow inner stop".
Chapter 4 also doesn't start for me.

But this really is a nice change from the standard way to play the game! Really fun to play.

Yona-TYT

Quote from: Flemmbrav on December 16, 2022, 12:31:00 PMWhen creating the first bus line, the scenario details mention 5 stops, but there is a demand for an unmentioned "Glasgow inner stop".
Chapter 4 also doesn't start for me.

But this really is a nice change from the standard way to play the game! Really fun to play.
Can you send me a savegame to verify why chapter 4 doesn't start? any error message?.

Yona-TYT

Quote from: Flemmbrav on December 16, 2022, 12:31:00 PMWhen creating the first bus line, the scenario details mention 5 stops,
It fix. 8)

Quote from: Yona-TYT on December 16, 2022, 02:31:05 PMChapter 4 also doesn't start for me.
I must assume you got to this point:

Captura desde 2022-12-16 12-56-00.png 

I had a confusion with the names of the wagons and the cabin, because in the translation all the names are the same (see the list in the image).

This can confuse new players and they may not be able to progress from this point.

I have changed the names and now if it works well:

loc3_name_obj = "OBB_4010_Triebkopf_1"
 loc4_name_obj = "OBB_4010_Mittelwagen"
 loc5_name_obj = "OBB_4010_Steuerwagen_2"

I have fixed a bug with the slopes in chapter 3 (it is curious that you could advance). :P

Please replace the file: "class_chapter_03.nut " in the "class" directory of the scenario to apply the new fixes. ;)

I will wait for more reports and then post a new version.

Flemmbrav

Link to the savegame:
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/522836436270055435/1053383670347599933/scenariotest.sve

I actually managed to complete the railway section.
Active chapter is chapter 4 as well.
Just the first step not starting.

---

I just brute forced the slope thing for the tunnel, maybe that was what resulted in this bug...

---

my train consist of 2 power heads and 3 coaches. That seemed to work to complete chapter 3.

Yona-TYT

Quote from: Flemmbrav on December 16, 2022, 06:53:26 PMI actually managed to complete the railway section.
Active chapter is chapter 4 as well.
Just the first step not starting.
You have advanced through the chapter without calling the proper function for it.
There is a logic (somewhat complicated) in charge of analyzing all the vehicles in circulation and in case of detecting a missing one, it goes back to that chapter, however it is possible that in some (rare) circumstances it does the opposite effect and advances the chapter.

I myself can make a new function in simutrans to solve this, but I have to ask @Dwachs to see if he agrees to implement.

For the moment I return your fixed savegame so that you can continue with the tests:  scenariotest.sve

Quote from: Flemmbrav on December 16, 2022, 06:53:26 PMmy train consist of 2 power heads and 3 coaches. That seemed to work to complete chapter 3.
Well, it is logical that the artist who created trains is not going to get stuck here hehehe.  ;D

The truth is that I don't know much about train combinations so you should verify that this combination is the right one.

Yona-TYT

I apologize for the double post. :P

I have sent a new update!.

Indeed I have confirmed my suspicions with this and I have implemented a (rudimentary) solution that works and also shows a message (message center) every time this happens, but for now just ignore it, it's just to have it there in case it happens again a fail (hopefully not).
https://forum.simutrans.com/index.php/topic,22127.msg202544/topicseen.html#msg202544

Captura desde 2022-12-16 20-21-01.png

Quote from: Flemmbrav on December 16, 2022, 12:31:00 PMReally fun to play

Fun ? Wait until you get to chapter 5, which is my favorite.  ;D

Yona-TYT

I was testing the latest nightly version of pak192.comic and found a problem in chapter 5.

It turns out that the name of the "good" for carbon no longer works with "Kohle", now the trucks use it is "coal" so I had to change it.

I guess it's a recent change?.

Captura desde 2023-04-14 00-49-13.png

Leartin

The name was originally German and was changed to English a while ago. A long while. Like, about 8 years? The compat.dat still contains the entry of that change (near the top, line 87 and 88)

Don't think there was any recent change touching this.

Yona-TYT

Quote from: Leartin on April 15, 2023, 10:38:27 AMThe name was originally German and was changed to English a while ago. A long while. Like, about 8 years? The compat.dat still contains the entry of that change (near the top, line 87 and 88)

Don't think there was any recent change touching this.
that strange, i'm sure this was working fine before, i did a lot of tests. :o

Yona-TYT

Quote from: Yona-TYT on April 15, 2023, 01:05:01 PMthat strange, i'm sure this was working fine before, i did a lot of tests. :o

I realized that the bug was my fault... :P :P :P

@Leartin, Please consider adding the scenario to the pak192.comic, I think I'm the first to create one for that pakset.

What is on github works (at least I didn't get potentially destructive bugs) ;D

https://github.com/simutrans/tutorial_pak192.comic

Yona-TYT

Apparently this has not yet been included in pak192.comic nights.

Flemmbrav

Oh damnit, will do!
Thank you for the reminder!