News:

Simutrans Tools
Know our tools that can help you to create add-ons, install and customize Simutrans.

Simutrans site - www.simutrans.com (old topic 2)

Started by IgorEliezer, October 04, 2009, 01:39:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vilvoh

I would order them by tile size instead of popularity.

Escala Real...a blog about Simutrans in Spanish...

IgorEliezer

Quote from: VS on March 21, 2011, 12:35:48 PMI have locos running into pictures?  

Quote from: IgorEliezer on March 21, 2011, 03:25:41 AM- the CSS still needs to be fixed ;D

No, you don't. It's just a mirage. :P  

Quote from: vilvoh on March 21, 2011, 03:33:42 PMI would order them by tile size instead of popularity.
Yep, by size.  

We need to keep in mind that the site is meant to be visited by people who never learned about Simutrans before, therefore the order mustn't be by popularity or history since such a people don't know which is the most popular pakset nor our chronology. I prefer to be didactic. Nonetheless, the pak64 must come first for being the standard pakset.

prissi

Any set should get either only one or three screenshots, not a mixture ...

IgorEliezer

Quote from: prissi on March 21, 2011, 08:13:19 PM
Any set should get either only one or three screenshots, not a mixture ...
My good sir... ;D

Quote from: IgorEliezer on March 21, 2011, 03:25:41 AMAs you can see I made the test only with the first 3 pakset sections of the page. If people like it, I'll complete it. ;)
I intended to make all sets get only one screenshot, but it'd be quite time-consuming. So I did the experience with the first 3 paksets (pak64, pakGerman and PakJapan). If people like it, I'll make the change on the whole page.

prissi

I like the left right layout. But probably we can format this that, given not enough space, the text is below?

IgorEliezer

I think the space isn't a problem here. All paksets have a fairly short description, except Pak128.Britain (which isn't a big issue too).

I rather prefer short descriptions (about 300 characters) because I'm planning to make PakSet page work like a download page, thus we get rid of the mess in download page: the visitor downloads the executable from the download page and then he chooses a pakset from the gallery - the pakset page -  and clicks on download, so visitor can preview and learn a bit about the pakset before downloading it.

I think someone who just wants to download both the binaries and the paksets wouldn't want to read long texts but the basic about the pakset, i.e. a preview and a short text. If he wants to learn more the pakset, he can click on provided links; the wiki can help here.

As for multiplayer: the About page (http://www.simutrans.com/about.htm) could be expanded upon with some info about multiplayer mode.

Quote from: fabio on March 21, 2011, 02:39:44 PMOrders could be:
(...)
- by tile size (es. pak 32, pak 64 and 64 variants, pak 96, pak 128, pak 192, etc...); the variants could be ordered by popularity
Let me suggest: sorting by size and then by alphabetical order but pak64 should come first:

* pak64 - the standard pakset
    * pak32.Comic
    * pak48.Excentrique
    * pak64.Contrast
    * pak64.German
    * pak64.Hajo
    * pak64.HO
    * pak64.Japan (beta)
    * pak96.Comic
    * pak96.HD
    * pak128
    * pak128.Britain
    * pak128.Japan
    * pak192.Comic

Fabio

Quote from: prissi on March 21, 2011, 08:13:19 PMAny set should get either only one or three screenshots, not a mixture ...
Quote from: IgorEliezer on March 21, 2011, 08:50:09 PMI intended to make all sets get only one screenshot, but it'd be quite time-consuming. So I did the experience with the first 3 paksets (pak64, pakGerman and PakJapan). If people like it, I'll make the change on the whole page.
On the other hand, if this page is the shop-window of each pakset, I would suggest
1- clicking on a screenshot, replaces it with a new one of the same pakset (cycling through screenshots should be basic javascript)
2- clicking on a screenshot opens a new page with a gallery of screenshots for that very pakset (e.g. taken from SMSC winners and contestants)

Quote from: IgorEliezer on March 22, 2011, 04:01:21 AM
I think the space isn't a problem here. All paksets have a fairly short description, except Pak128.Britain (which isn't a big issue too).
Similarily, a "Learn more" link could show a longer description if available

Quote from: IgorEliezer on March 22, 2011, 04:01:21 AM
Let me suggest: sorting by size and then by alphabetical order but pak64 should come first:

* pak64 - the standard pakset
    * pak32.Comic
    * pak48.Excentrique
    * pak64.ABO
    * pak64.Contrast
    * pak64.German
    * pak64.Hajo
    * pak64.HO
    * pak64.Japan (beta)
    * pak96.Comic
    * pak96.HD
    * pak128
    * pak128.Japan
    * pak128.Britain
    * pak192.Comic

On the other hand, I would like to know (specially if I were a player) which paksets are still maintained and which have been discontinued
    * pak64 - STANDARD
    * pak32.Comic - ACTIVE
    * pak48.Excentrique - ACTIVE
    * pak64.ABO - ???
    * pak64.Contrast - ???
    * pak64.German - ACTIVE / POPULAR
    * pak64.Hajo - ???
    * pak64.Japan - ACTIVE ?
    * pak96.Comic - ACTIVE / POPULAR
    * pak96.HD - DISCONTINUED (unfortunately)
    * pak128 - ACTIVE / POPULAR
    * pak128.Japan - ACTIVE / POPULAR
    * pak128.Britain - ACTIVE / POPULAR
    * pak192.Comic - ACTIVE

This status is just my wild guess, based on what I read on the forum.
IMHO Active and, specially, popular pakset shoud have a better visible position in the list.
Or, anyway, Active / Discontinued status should be stated.

Combuijs

Yes, I think that status is very important. I would even use it as a sorter, so:

1) standard projects (eg. pak64)
2) active and popular (pak64.german, pak64.hajo, pak96.comic, pak128, pak128.japan, pak128.Britain)
3) active and niche (pak32.comic, pak48.excentrique, pak64.japan)
4) non-active, but playable (pak64.abo, pak64.contrast, pak96.hd)
5) in development (pak64.HO, pak192.comic, pak128.german)

You could argue about each individual classification, but this way of sorting leads to a quite natural order.
Bob Marley: No woman, no cry

Programmer: No user, no bugs

IgorEliezer

I've just made some changes in the page:

http://www.simutrans.com/paksets-test.htm (refresh the page, CSS was changed)

Notice:
- links are broken or wrong. I just copy-paste-paste-paste-paste-paste-paste-paste the stuff ;D
- some pakset descriptions need to be shortened and others extended upon.

Fabio

Quote from: Combuijs on March 22, 2011, 09:18:57 AM
Yes, I think that status is very important. I would even use it as a sorter, so:

1) standard projects (eg. pak64)
2) active and popular (pak64.german, pak64.hajo, pak96.comic, pak128, pak128.japan, pak128.Britain)
3) active and niche (pak32.comic, pak48.excentrique, pak64.japan)
4) non-active, but playable (pak64.abo, pak64.contrast, pak96.hd)
5) in development (pak64.HO, pak192.comic, pak128.german)

You could argue about each individual classification, but this way of sorting leads to a quite natural order.

I definitely agree with this order, grouping the paksets in sections and adding:
6) Other experiences (as it is now)

prissi

I think it would be nice to have a selector to sort popularity (default, thus starting with pak64 and pak128 and then with mature/beta/discontinued suborder) and then provide sorting by size (tiles) size (mega bytes). It would mean that there are three pages, but this is not too much for the key page, or?

- pak contrast was published for 100.x series or? As such, it should be still playable.
- pak64.HO (which can be even repacked, since it is GPL ... ) is also playable
- pak64.japan is no longer beta, as there is a release for 110.0 ...
- all pak comics lack vehicles mostly. But you can play them, so they should go in.
- same for pak128.german
- Since funkelwerk.de (Hajos webseite) is down, there is no download for pak48.excentrique at the moment.

mature:
pak64, pak64.german, pak64.japan, pak64.contrast, pak128, pak96.comic, pak128.britain

lacking some features:
pak64.abo, pak64.contrast, pak128.german, pak96.HD, pak192.comic(honestly I do not know how mature)

only basic functionality
pak32.comic, pak64.HO, pak48.excentrique

IgorEliezer

Does pakABO (ABOset) still exist? Is there a downloadable packable somewhere?

BTW: I made some changes is the page: www.simutrans.com/paksets-test.htm

EDIT:

The wiki has a text about all Simutrans paksets: http://www.simutrans-germany.com/wiki/wiki/tiki-index.php?page=en_paksets

If people fulfill it, it will be really helpful.

An_dz

I prefer tilesize with alphabetical.
Popularity is difficult to order less popular ones.

As I already said:
Quote from: An_dz on February 15, 2011, 03:58:43 PM
You can use the images used on Simutrans wiki on paksets page. They are 300x225 and are about 30kb and links to a 1024x768 one. It'll save time.

DGMurdockIII

this suggestion is related to the Simutrans Chat form post in  Information and announcements section http://forum.simutrans.com/index.php?topic=1369.0

I have a suggestion for the website where you stated to point people to http://chat.simutrans.com/ if they wanted to connect to chat room with out a irc channel why not still do that but but use use mibbit http://www.mibbit.com/

http://wiki.mibbit.com/index.php/Main_Page

IgorEliezer

........  :o

I woke up quite early today. Then I'll be taking this opportunity to make some updates in Simutrans.com site.

If you have any questions, ideas or report about any problem, post here or join #simutrans IRC

IgorEliezer

Okay, I bring a gift:

www.simutrans.com/newsite

Try it out before I replace the current site with this new one.

Main changes:

- About received "History" section from Development page.
- Download, no changes... for now. I plan to remove pakset download links, since there's a better pakset page.
- Pakset has now download links, short descriptions, and links for "More info". The user can now preview, lean and download the pakset in one page.
- Help, minor fixes, less duplicate links for the wikis.
- Development page is more friendly, not redundant, less confusing. "History" part was moved to About.
- Community, nothing changed.
- Links, clean-up. Some dead links were removed.

Minor changes:

- Header-navigation bar: better mouse-hover descriptions
- Footer: © Simutrans Community, 2004-2012
- Page indexation: more keywords.

Must-Do Things:

- Pakset page is not finished:
---- Pak64.Hajo needs 3 screenshots.
---- Pak64.Japan needs a longer description.
---- Pak96.Comic idem
---- Pak96.HD idem
---- Pak128.German needs 3 screenshots and a good 5-lines description. Download link is broken (so is in topic release)
---- Pak192.Comic  needs a longer description.

That's all, for now.

Fabio

Could paksets top menu be split in sections after their tile size?

IgorEliezer

Quote from: fabio on January 01, 2012, 11:43:19 AM
Could paksets top menu be split in sections after their tile size?
What sections? I fail to figure it out  what kind of sections you're talking about. ???

Combuijs

I think he means this section:

Bob Marley: No woman, no cry

Programmer: No user, no bugs

Spike

You might want to remove any links to funkelwerk.de

The site is not coming back. The domain isn't mine anymore already. So if something is coming back under this name, it won't be my site.

IgorEliezer

Quote from: Combuijs on January 08, 2012, 10:43:31 AM
I think he means this section:

Well, that's what I suppose he meant by "paksets top menu". But I didn't understand the "split in sections" part. Maybe he wants me to sort it by pakset tilesize, a tilesize per line... but it's already "kind of" sorted by tilesize.

Quote from: Hajo on January 08, 2012, 12:33:01 PM
You might want to remove any links to funkelwerk.de
No problem, Hajo. Thank you.

Fabio

Precisely...

I mean something like:

[64x64] pak64 |  pak64.German |  pak64.Japan |  pak64.HAJO | Abo Set |  pak64.Contrast |  pak64.HO-scale

[96x96] pak96.Comic  | pak96.HD

[128x128] pak128 | pak128.Britain |  pak128.German | pak128.Japan | pak128.Czech

[Other] pak48.Excentrique | pak32.comic | pak192.comic | Other experiences

sdog

I think Hajo's new pak reached a state where it is complete pak-set (i mean all basic functionality is covered). Shouldn't it now be listed in the pak-set section of the simutrans page?

http://forum.simutrans.com/index.php?topic=3702.msg83917#msg83917

IgorEliezer

It's already included in the "testing" version of simutrans.com: http://www.simutrans.com/newsite/

When it's done, it will be fully accessible. If you want to follow the topic about simutrans.com site: http://forum.simutrans.com/index.php?topic=3434.0 (check out the latest posts)

sdog

oh, sorry i should have posted it there. if the thread is in the way here, could you please move it to that thread.

IgorEliezer

No problem. :D

Edit:

I'd like to ask Japanese-speakers a help: I found this blog http://simutrans128.blog26.fc2.com/ which is related to Simutrans. Is it good? Well, at least it seems good for me. If so, I'd like to include it in our list of fan-sites.

prissi

About the pakset page: pak128.german has still placeholder text. Could this be changed?

and in the winter pak there is a "v" too many "a separate pak for winter v is not needed any more. "

IgorEliezer

Quote from: prissi on January 19, 2012, 03:32:42 PM
About the pakset page: pak128.german has still placeholder text. Could this be changed?
Yes. I just need a small description about the pakset (about 330 characters) and a good screenshot (without add-ons).

Fabio

I don't know about addons, but the pak German currently leading the contest for SMSC this month (the one with autumn colours, just to speak) seems a good candidate for cropping one or more pics for the website...

prissi

Looking at that page again, the screenshot for pak96.comic is not at all representative of this pak too ...

IgorEliezer

Simutrans.com site updated. But not fully complete.

http://www.simutrans.com

Main changes:

• Download page slightly simplified.
  • Paksets page now provides download links (not complete, though: some paksets needs screens and short descriptions).
  • Help page: small fixes.
  • Development page: friendlier, organized and more inviting; some fixes done too.
  • Links: more links, broken links removed.
I think of adding a "Contests" section in Community page.

Comments are welcome.

vilvoh

Escala Real...a blog about Simutrans in Spanish...

An_dz

I just found out that the Wiki link for pakMars is incorrect, it links to pak64.

IgorEliezer

Site just updated:
- download page now provides Simutrans 111.2.1.
- pakset: pak64 and 128: new download links; pak128.German: picture preview and description (thanks to michelstadt).
- links: Simutrans on Twitter and Experimental game server list.